Promoting Better Sleep
Having a hard time sleeping? What are somethings you can do to help you sleep better? We know that hydration is critical for overall health, and we have recommended daily doses. Unfortunately, some will see they were lacking hydration throughout the day and try to make this all up at night. This can lead to a full bladder when trying to sleep and disturbed sleep cycle as result. In addition, hydrating at night, pain can also disrupt sleep as well. We know that a lack of sleep can amplify pain, make you more susceptible to injuries and cause nagging pains to be more bothersome. So, if you have pain that is keeping you awake at night or waking you at night, make sure to see your health care professional or athletic trainer to get to the root cause of the pain.
If just have a hard time sleeping, there are several things you can look into to help. These are all proven devices that are used by sleep experts as well as professional athletes to improve the quality of their sleep.
- Binaural beats are sounds played through the right and left headphone at two different frequencies. This stimulates brain activity causing relaxation, reduces stress/anxiety and aids in initiating sleep. These can be found on iTunes or Google Play.
- UVEX Skyper – Doses of blue light (phone, TV or computer) within an hour of going to sleep disrupts melatonin production and can prevent you from falling asleep. Some people are more sensitive to this. If you’re going to use blue light within one hour of going to bed you can use UVEX glasses block out the blue light.
- Good Night Bulbs – certain light bulbs emit more blue light than others and those in your bedroom can have a big impact on your sleep. These bulbs use a technology that helps support circadian rhythms.
- Chilipad - If you are too hot at night and sweat a lot, this can disrupt your sleep. This pad allows you and your partner to sleep at different temperature based on your individual needs.
- Radians custom molded earplugs – noise disrupts our sleep and prevent us from getting the rest we need. Even if they are not loud enough to wake us, they will often pull us out of our deep sleep. These custom molded ear buds block all that out.
- Marpac – is a white noise machine is a device that blocks out all frequencies of noise and uses a fan to prevent predictive breaks in sound.
- Twice toothpaste – uses essential oils to waken you up (Awakening Morning Toothpaste) or to help you go to sleep (Relaxing Evening Toothpaste).
- Noctilessence Inhalation Patch – essential oils have been shown to have an impact on our bodies. This patch combines essential oils to help calm, sooth the body, decrease stress/anxiety and improves ability to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Good mattress – picking the right mattress can be a choir. The right one will reduce tossing/turning, reduce pain associated with lying down (low back pain, neck pain) and keep you cooler. A mattress is an investment. There are a lot of stores that have a 30-day return policy on mattresses. Try it out for 30 days. If you don’t like it or don’t sleep well with, then return it for another. This is one of the key pieces to getting good sleep and therefore should be critically evaluated.
If you find this helpful, make sure to check out the next article as we continue to look at supplements that can help you get a better night sleep