Welcome and thanks for visiting...
Enhanced Management Principles In Refereeing
SportsEdTV Soccer is committed to bringing athletes, coaches, and parents pro-level Soccer education videos for FREE. All levels, anywhere, anytime. Check out our full instructional library and sign up to join our Soccer community.
Keith Hackett, counted among the top 100 referees of all time, discusses the enhanced management principles behind effective officiating.
- To understand why MANAGEMENT SKILLS are fundamental for referees in improving their on-field performances
- To be able to use our TECHNICAL SKILLS to more effectively officiate
- To recognize good practice and performances through video analysis
SKILL SETS FOR EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT
It is widely accepted that high levels of management require four skill sets.
KEY ON-FIELD ATTRIBUTES TO ENHANCE PERFORMANCE
AUTHORITY – An effective referee will take command of the overall action.
‘Boss the game’
CONTROL - Anticipate and be alert at all times. React positively, in a calm and dignified manner, to the events of the game.
PERSONALITY AND PRESENCE – These allow you time to put your authority into effect. Players must understand and feel that it is your game.
EXAMPLES OF EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE
- Good man management. Dealing with players and their emotions in a calm, consistent, and firm manner.
- Presence. Showing you are in control of the game and communicating that, both verbally and non-verbally, to the players.
- Physical fitness and movement. Being able to keep up with the speed of the match, maintain focus, and reach the right positions at the right time.
- Becoming mentally stronger. Handling the pressure better.
- Calmer and more relaxed in your movement
- More experience
- It is important to record your successes, and track your progress.
- These can be in aspects of:
- Fitness and Movement
- Application of Laws
- Management of players
- I am in excellent physical shape, having been continually conditioning and staying disciplined in my training
- Good pre-match instructions = good team spirit
- I am always 'up for the fight' and ready for what the match might throw my way
- I have a good reputation in the game
- I have increasing experience refereeing 'big games', adding to confidence and ability
- Physical Size/Stature/Fitness to help maintain control of the match
- Process Goals
- To focus on the start of each half
- To stay strong but calm and keep talking
- Outcome Goals
KH; It is important to keep a record of your games and to produce a SELF ASSESSMENT report on your performance.
Follow SportsEdTV Soccer on Facebook and Instagram to stay up-to-date with the latest content